Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Loaded Cookie

When I want a cookie, I want something that is chewy and crunchy and full of flavors and textures.  I want everything in one cookie.  Well, everything except chocolate.  If I want a cookie with chocolate in it, then I don't want anything else in it.  Those I prefer pure.  But these cookies are everything I want loaded into a chewy and crispy cookie with a hint of spice.  So that is what this recipe became, The Loaded Cookie.

And they are not hard to make, they freeze beautifully (if they make it into your freezer that is).
And here's the kicker, I use whole grains but the cookie still taste like a decadent indulgent cookie.  I use oat flour; you have to be careful and make sure you get certified gluten free for any oat product you buy due to the high risk of cross contamination; brown rice flour, and ground flax seeds to fulfill the whole grain.  It gives it a deeper flavor and is less sweet than a traditional base for a cookie, which is my preference for cookies anyway.  I want to taste something other than sugar.

Here is what you need:

1/2 cup margarine - I use Earth Balance Baking sticks
1 cup raw sugar (or 3/4 cup packed brown sugar and 1/4 cup white sugar)

3/4 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup oat flour (or quinoa flour)
1/2 cup brown rice flour (or if you prefer white or sweet rice flour, but this removes some of the nutrition)
1/4 cup tapioca starch (or potato starch)
1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tbsp ground flax seed.














1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

1 cup raisins
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans










Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Sift all your dry ingredients together and whisk to incorporate, this removes any lumps of flour and makes sure that when you add the flour mixture there are no pockets of one type of flour, it is already incorporated.

Cream your margarine and sugar together.  Then add the egg and vanilla and mix well.  Then add your flour mixture all at once and mix until completely incorporated.

Add the raisins, coconut and nuts and mix for only a few seconds until they are throughout the dough.  You don't want to smash the raisins and pecans into pulp.

Drop by the tablespoonful onto a greased cookie sheet and bake for 15 - 18 minutes.  My oven runs cool so I need the full 18 minutes.  Check yours after 15 and see if the center of the cookie is soft or firm to decide length of time.

Remove from the pan immediately and cool on a wire rack.  These are delicious warm or room temp.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment